Sunday, January 16, 2005

I've been super busy:
As many people read here on Politizine, I left my job at The Winchester Star in December and started a new job at a news/talk radio station, WKXL 1450, in Concord, NH. I hold down the 3 to 6 p.m. time slot at the station. At 3 p.m., I host "Arts & Entertainment around the Capitol Region," an interview program featuring authors, poets, musicians, literally anyone and everyone doing anything creative in the area. From 4 to 6 p.m., "PM New Hampshire" airs. During those hours, I read the news headlines, conduct interviews and attend local meetings for news segments. When New Hampshire's new governor, Democrat John Lynch, was inaugurated on Jan. 6, I was broadcasting live from the State House - during a blizzard! So, it is a pretty cool gig. So far, it has been a lot of fun working at WKXL. I've met some very interesting people. Everyone at the station is very professional and friendly, with all kinds of diverse backgrounds. There is some very interesting and exciting stuff airing at the station. Anyone who wants to listen can tune in on the Web at
wkxl1450.com.
Putting together news for radio is much different than working in print. Instead of writing a 600 to 800 word story about something, a quick three or four sentences are written and then some audio of the person talking is recorded and spliced into the story. Sometimes you are reading the text and airing the audio; other times you are putting together a package to be broadcast during someone else's news. It is pretty cool how it all comes together in the end.
The new job and family stuff, however, has kept me from updating the blog. As promised, I do hope to soon have a couple more contributors in place to make it a bit more interactive. I did put a poll up about a comment section [only three readers voted ... thank you, though]. The "ayes" have it, so I will be implementing the comment section sometime this week. Tomorrow I will update the blog with some news and links I have not had a chance to post.

Lastly, I want to thank everyone who responded to the blog entry and email letter about my family and put them in your prayers and made donations to them in their time of need. I don't have any new news to share with anyone yet. I know they still haven't found a new place to live and are split between a bunch of places. This weekend, there was supposed to be a big a fund-raiser/benefit, but I haven't heard yet how it went. When I do, I will pass the news on. Thanks again everyone.

No comments: