Sunday, July 18, 2010

Bad strawberries at BJ's

This is an email I sent to BJ's Wholesale Club and California Giant fruit company of Wastonville, Cal.:
I'm writing today to issue a complaint about strawberries I bought at the BJ's Hooksett, NH, location. I purchased them on 7-17-10. The sku # is 665290001665.
I purchased them around 2:30 p.m. on 7-17-10. Normally, I don't buy fruit at BJs but I knew I wasn't going to make it to the store until Sunday and my two boys like fruit for breakfast. I inspected the containers, they all looked fine, and so I chose one. I took them home - about a 20 minute drive - and put them in the fridge. This morning, when I got up to make breakfast, I was shocked to find about a third of the strawberries were moldy. Another third were bruised, mushy, and beginning to get moldy. This, after less than 24 hours from the purchase date. I cut up what I could to feed the kids and composted the rest.
I don't know what the problem is - maybe they weren't picked right, maybe the temps on your display cases are too low, maybe even 20 minutes in an air-conditioned CRV made them go bad - but I do know that this isn't the best situation. I'm not looking for a refund of the $4.99, but I would like you to do something about this so that other people don't experience pure waste like this.
In the future, I think I will skip buying fruit at BJ's. I'm also emailing the company, California Giant of Wastonville, Cal. and posting this on my blog.

No comments: