Friday, April 21, 2006

No John, no
This morning, I awoke to one of the most frightening headlines a political junkie could wake up to ... a headline which is almost as scary as "Hilary wins nomination ...": ["Kerry 'thinking hard' about 2008 run for president"].
This is one of those headlines I have been dreading seeing for a long time and have wondered when it would pop up. Personally, I don't want to deny anyone the right to run for any political office. If he really wants to put himself - and the American people - through the torture of watching another one of his campaigns, well, what can I say?
But, at some point, common sense has to prevail. It was the same common sense which led me not to vote for Ralph Nader again in 2004 having done so in the previous two elections. Despite my desire to do what I wanted with my own vote - my God-given right - I did what my wife and others wanted me to do with my vote - and I held my nose very hard and wasted my vote for that soulless yuppie. Needless to say, I'm probably not going to do that again. So, the Democrats better make sure that they have a nominee who isn't going to make folks like me look somewhere else - whether it is to a Nader or a decent Republican.
So, message to John Kerry, loud and clear: Please don't run. Instead, put your own ambitions aside - for the good of the nation and your party - and back a true patriot like your colleague in the Senate, Russ Feingold.

My payola: The Dead Kennedys used to have a parody song, done to The Knack's "My Sharona," which they did only once, live, at a music awards ceremony in San Franscisco in 1980, called "Pull My Strings." The key chorus: "Drool, drool, drool, drool, drool, drool, my payola ..." It is on "Give Me Convenience of Give me Death" collection of B-sides and rareties put out after the band broke up. But I can't help but think of this song whenever I see stories like this: ["FCC Launches Payola Probes of 4 Radio Giants"].

No comments: