Sunday, September 10, 2006

Tune out tomorrow
I'm going to do everything I can to keep the television turned off tomorrow. I suggest that everyone else try and do the same thing. Shut the TV off. Don't bother. Don't get sucked in. It is going to be difficult, I know. I'm a 24-hour news person. I have to keep the thing on. But I'm going to try not to.

I personally find this entire 5 year anniversary stuff cryptic and manipulative. It is whipping up fear in the hearts of men and it is unnecessary because there probably aren't going to be any more terror attacks on the level which we saw on Sept. 11 no matter who is in power and no matter what they do policy-wise. I could be wrong, but I doubt it. And that is how I feel about it. I will, however, apologize ahead of time to anyone who may lose their lives in future terrorist attacks in the United States because there could be smaller terrorist attacks like those which have occured in Europe and Asia all the time. It should be noted that Asia and Europe don't have the freedoms we have and yet, even with all their security, they still have terror attacks and probably always will.

I will leave readers with these thoughts when thinking about the 5 year anniversary: Benjamin Franklin once said, "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Eisenhower once said, "We will bankrupt ourselves in the vain search for absolute security." He also said this: "If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking ... is freedom."

Think about that for a bit. I will have a headline roundup tomorrow.

No comments: