Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Is 'pulling a Palin' the best they can do against Ayotte?

It seems to me that a lot of folks feel so threatened by New Hampshire Attorney General and Republican Kelly Ayotte running for U.S. Senate that they need to cheap shot her or cast aspersions right out of the box.
Just on background, I interviewed Ayotte a few times when I worked at a local news radio station and also helped her and the state police cut a anti-drunk driving PSA for stations across the state. Let me tell you, she is a completely competent, acceptable and accomplished candidate for the Republican nomination. And maybe that's why Democrats are so scared.
While we don't know her political positions, we soon will if she decides to run. At that point, we can all decide whether she earns our votes or not.
But if the best liberals and Democrats can do is say she's "pulling a Palin" or attack her because she is a relatively attractive candidate, a woman, who might have moderate and conservative positions, then it will not be a cakewalk for Rep. Paul Hodes. Or, will they start pulling the "bad mom horror stories," another covert op by Democrats which they should be ashamed of I can hear them now, Ayotte refused to allow an AGA to try a case while she was pregnant and put her baby in danger, gasp, horrors, blah, blah, blah ...
And another question for my super liberal friends: What happened to diversity and tolerance? You're going to choose a white man over a woman? Or, is there only diversity when the woman, black, or Hispanic, is liberal or a Democrat? Where is the tolerance for differing opinions and ideas or, do you take the position that there is only tolerance for me and not for thee? I have never understood this hypocrisy which is why I don't fall into the diversity or tolerance nonsense trap.

Frankly, I'm not even thinking about 2010 right now and I'm a political horse race kind of guy. Let me get through the municipal elections please! But I will say that I don't know it is such a good idea for any of the candidates to win by default or not have a primary challenge. It's important for the voters to have a chance to really look at the candidates and have an array of them to choose from, and not have coronations. I guess Hodes has really had the luck of the Irish since he had no primary opposition in 2004, minor opposition who was virtually ignored in 2006, no primary challenge in 2008, and now, seemingly no primary opposition for the nomination in 2010. But is that such a good thing?

When the time is right, I will weigh all the issues and make a decision just like everyone else. And I will write about the election before that time. But I think it's really important for the parties, the candidates, and their supporters, to stick to the important issues of the day and not all this crappy name-calling, 16 months before the damn election!

No comments: