Friday, March 21, 2003

Conservatives chicken out of debate with anti-war supporters
For almost 20 years, I have been a fan of talk radio. For awhile, I even had my own weekly talk show, on two very small radio stations. And all during that time, I have heard the same thing from conservative talk hosts. ‘We don’t censor callers,’ they have said. ‘The millions who listen to me, feel the same as me. They even say ‘ditto’ to me, blah, blah, blah.’
Well, I have always known the truth about the conservative talk radio hosts [and NPR, for that matter], and their preference to screen out callers to keep dissenting viewpoints off the air. And now, the truth finally comes out – at the most important time in our history – a time in desperate need of open discussion and dialog.

In a sense, John Mainelli’s NY Post piece says it all today: ["Tough Talkers"].

Rush Limbaugh, chickenhawk, draft-dodger: "I'm not messing with people who want to say this attack is illegal, it's not warranted, it's not justified – I'm not going to argue with you people anymore. Take your propaganda to somebody else who might believe it.”

Don Imus ordered his producer Bernard to steer clear of guests "who come on and whine about how the president failed to explore all diplomatic avenues – just drop it because I'm not interested in having that discussion. We got stabbed in the back by those assholes in France and the rest of them. Enough of Tom Daschle, who is disgraceful, and all the rest – enough of that."

Bob Grant, the racist thug NYC talker: “I'm sick and tired of these left-wing America haters. I don't know who I hate the most: Tom Daschle, Saddam Hussein or Peter Jennings."

Sean Hannity, a constant critic of Clinton’s war actions, is now shocked, shocked that people would now attack his president the same way he attacked Clinton: "I was stunned by Democrats making these partisan attacks on the eve of war – stunned.”

For all their talk about “freedom” and “democracy,” the blowhards on talk radio don’t want to debate or discuss. They want everyone to sit down and shut up. If there was ever a time when competition in talk radio was needed, now is that time.