Saturday, January 20, 2007

R.I.P.: Denny Dorherty

Boy, they just keep dropping like flies: ["Denny Dorherty, 66: singer songwriter made his name in the Mamas and the Papas"]. I loved this band. Their harmonies gave me chills and they have so many hits. Most people talk about "California Dreaming'" and "Monday Monday," but I like some of the more obscure stuff. Although, those songs are pretty hard to find, since almost everything the Mamas and the Papas did was a single. "Creeque Alley," is probably my favorite song.
I have their greatest hits double album set - Remember albums? Remember double albums? - and I must admit that I haven't listened to it in years.
About a year after moving to a new house, I disconnected my record player from the rest of the stereo. I promised myself that I would transfer all my albums to CDs but I never got around to it. This is not unlike a lot of other things I've promised myself I'd do over the last three-plus years but haven't gotten around to it. Oh well.
While I am an album and CD person, I've become pretty comfortable with downloads and mp3s, mostly through use of the inexpensive emusic.com service. Emusic.com has a lot of indie stuff and the downloads are reasonable. The plan I had previously worked out to about 25 cents a download. They have since rolled the downloads back just a bit. But even with that action, they are the least expensive place to get music from. They don't have a lot of hits, but I don't usually want those anyway so ...

No comments: