Monday, June 9, 2008

Tan, not so rested, ready ...

After a short weekend away, I'm back in the region again. I was surprised to find out it was hotter in New Hampshire than Miami yesterday!
Thanks go out to Southwest Airlines for, again, getting me to and fro safely, and, again, doing it at a reasonable price. Of course, it was fully-packed, again, like a bus, but hey, that is the nature of the beast these days.
In all the years I have been using Southwest, I don't have anything bad to say about them. The flight attendants were super nice and very helpful. The pilots are funny, getting us in early even.
Although, on my flight down on Friday night, all three of the attendants kept coming by my seat during take off and landing to tell me to put my seat in its full, upright position. The seat was broken so it wouldn't go up. Each time, the attendants didn't believe me and two of them even attempted to push it up for or with me.
I smiled the first time and the second time. But by the third time, deep into my book, I snipped, "This is the third time you guys have asked me to do this and the third time I've told you that the seat is broken ..." She didn't believe me and attempted to pull it up, with my help. Afterwards, I just smiled and went back to my book.
I understand that they are only doing their jobs and trying to be safe. But you would think after three times, they would let it go. You would think after three times, they would realize the seat is broken! I mean, it was only about an inch off. It wasn't like I was all the way back, annoying the person behind me.
On the way to Miami, I had a giggle when The Replacements "Waitress in the sky" kicked on the mp3 player mid-flight ["You ain't nothing but a waitress in the sky ..."]. Hah, I don't remember putting that on there. But there it was. Paul Westerberg can be such an ass.
One last note before going back to work: I'm almost through "Everything I'm cracked up to be," by Boston rocker Jen Trynin. I bought it in paperback ages ago and never got a chance to read it. In nine hours, I totally have devoured it.
One critical note: She used a lot fake names to protect the "non-innocent," which I think is one of the major flaws of the book. I understand her need not to create a ton of waves in the business but readers deserve to know who the creeps are ... especially if they are thinking about getting into the business. It is a hilarious read and a bit girlish, not unlike Lisa Suckdog's "Drugs are nice." Trynin does note that a lot of the original folks like Mikey Dee and those of us at WMFO and other stations who helped break her in, which was nice to read. I think I played her "Beg" single every week on my show for months [as well as other tracks]. So, that was nice to read. And, little did we know the rollercoaster ride she was on during all of that major label stuff. Anyway, a worthy read ... even though I'm not quite done with it.

No comments: