Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Dandy Warhols cop Love & Rockets ... again!

OK, so earlier tonight I'm at work, listening to Love & Rockets' "Seventh Dream of Teenage Heaven," and I recognize a song ... Where I have heard that before? I wonder out loud.
I stop the mp3 and hit the beginning again. The song is called "God and Mr. Smith" and I know the riff from somewhere ... and then, bam, it hits me - it's on the new Dandy's record, "Earth to Dandy Warhols." The song on their CD is "Valerie Yum." At the very end, it cycles through the same riff as the intro to "God and Mr. Smith"!
This is the same thing I caught the Dandys doing on a previous song, noted here: ["SNL video censored"].
You know, I love the Dandys ... a lot. I have all their CDs. I listen to them all the time. But this is two instances now where they have directly lifted whole sections of songs by Love & Rockets.

1 comment:

Kevin Like Your Brother Kevin said...

I had never heard 'God and Mr. Smith' before today, and thank you for introducing it to me. After parousing much 'Love and Rockets' on YouTube, I was able to piece together excactly who they were. I have never been.... familiar??... with them before now, though I have been exposed, considerably (somehow) to their music.

I used to listen to a radio station in Kansas City when I was in late elementary school that played things like Roxette, Depeche Mode, EMF, and Jesus Jones, so that is likely where I gained the exposure.

Again, I agree that there is a very similar chord progression going on there, but the rhythyms are totally different imho.

Of course, if you are a fan following the Dandy's, then you know Courtney does enjoy himself some Love and Rockets, Depeche Mode, Duran Duran, and whatnot. I think it is a beautiful hommage.

Besides, it has its own Taylor-Taylor flair with:

"I got Val-yum-yum-yum-yum-yum-yum-yum-yum-yum-yum-yum,
I just don't care no more!
About World War Three!
OR
World War Four!
I just don't care no more!"


Anyhoo... back to my hash pipe and my MBA Finance class project.

Keep up the good work. I enjoy reading your commentary here on things other than music as well. :)