Sunday, March 11, 2007

Sappy PBS oldies specials
OK, as we all know, PBS stations, it seems, are constantly begging for money. I think sometimes they run out of ideas of how to beg for money because every time I turn the station on, in this case, WGBH Channel 2, they are hawking some DVD with some really old, old guys playing their one-hit wonders. In tonight's case, it was "The British Beat," old Brit-pop before it was called Brit pop. And get these prices: $150 for a four CD set or $120 for a two DVD thing [$250 for both], along with a WGBH membership. Wow, is that a rip-off or what? And who would pay this kinda money for songs you've heard a billion times? At least with the auctions, you can get some bargains or at least pay the same price you would normally pay for the product.
During the show, they had this old footage of Eric Burdon & the Animals doing "We Gotta Get Out of this Place" and I got to thinking: What was the name of that punk band that did a blistering version of this song? Fear. Oh my gosh, it was Fear. I almost forgot about them! I wonder if they have an mp3 of that song? I thought.
Well, sure enough, there was a live version of it at this obscure site along with a bunch of other live stuff. The site also had a copy of their version of "Hoochie-Coochie Man" from the film, "Get Crazy." Oh what fun!

No comments: