Sunday, May 13, 2007

New Sitemeter features


More charts and graphs: Sitemeter now converts visitor data into pretty cool bar graphs. Above are some of the data from Politizine over the last 12 months.
One of the cool things about my blog - and other blogs - is that I have a Sitemeter program which gives me a bit of information about some of the people who visit the site. It doesn't give me name, rank and serial number. But, it does give me other information.
For example, if a company has an ID on its ISP address, it identifies the company. It also tells me the time the person visited the site and how many pages they checked out during their visit. If the server is located at a work address, it will tell me that too. If you have Comcast, Verizon, or AT&T, it won't tell me your home address is, but it will tell me a nearby town where your signal was routed too. It's a pretty cool program.
Another one of the neat things about it is that I can see all the people who are goofing off at work, Googling to find about the new Buggati or Tina Fey's scar ... workers at Microsoft, Sara Lee, and IBM [Psst ... your secret is safe with me].
Well now, Sitemeter offers these very cool bar graph charts on the site. So I can look at the data in graph form, as you can see above. Instead of just putting down a bunch of numbers, the visuals really let you see the fluctuation of the site visits. For example, traffic was slower during the summer months but then grew during the fall and winter months. This is probably because people spend less time in front of their computers during the colder temperatures. February is also slower, probably because the month is slightly shorter. A few days can make a difference.
Whether this is critical or not, I don't know, but it seems like most visitors come for a page or two but not to really explore the site extensively. The site has a bunch of regular readers, which is cool. But the bulk of the traffic comes from people Googling specific topics of interest. Which is just fine by me. A very cool new feature.

No comments: