Monday, September 3, 2007

When Hillary Calls ...
No, this isn't a horror movie. This is an actual experience.
On Friday, we received a robo call from the Hillary Clinton for President campaign. Paraphrasing, it went something like this: Hi, I'm Hillary Clinton. My husband Bill and I will be at the State House for a rally on Sunday ... blah, blah, blah.
Great.
Well, we deleted the message, one of four or five we have received from the woman's campaign in the last few months [Campaign calls, so far: five robo calls from Clinton's; one robo and three personal calls from Edwards' campaign; one personal call from Obama's campaign; one robo call from Richardson's]. It seems that every time she is within a 25 miles of my house, we get an invite to come "meet" her.
Of course, it is kind of a stretch to call Hillary's events "meet-and-greets" or "listening"-anythings. There isn't a lot of listening and there isn't a lot of greeting. There seems, to me at least, to be a lot of huge stadium-type events and the whole, "I'm Hillary, shut up and listen to me ..." speech. And what is this "change agent" stuff? Give me a break.
Anyhow, so I'm sitting at the house on Saturday, early evening, after a trip to the Fair which Hillary would crash herself on Sunday, and I get a phone call from a 703 area code in Virginia.
"Hello?" I ask, wondering who the heck would be calling me from there.
"Hi, is Anthony there?"
"This is Anthony."
"Hi, I'm so-and-so from the Hillary Clinton for President campaign."
Oh, a live one now. Great.
"Hi. What can I do for you?"
"Sen. Clinton will be at the State House for a rally on Sunday and she would like you to be there so she can meet you."
Yeah, right.
"Will you be attending?"
I ponder at what to say.
"Ah, no, I can't make it, sorry."
"Oh," the woman says, sounding surprised. "Well, have you decided who you plan on voting for in the primary yet?"
"No," I say, pausing for dramatic effect, "I haven't quite decided yet. But, I won't be voting for Hillary Clinton."
Silence.
"Oh, OK, well thank you."
"Thank you."
Click.
I thought for a moment after I revealed to the Clinton campaign that I would be a 4 and not a 1 or 2 on primary day, whenever that day is set, and whether that was such a good idea. It is always best not to reveal your position to the enemy. And believe me, Hillary is the enemy. Imagine her in control of the nation with all the draconian Executive Orders and laws implemented by the Bush Administration. Yikes! But, then again, if her campaign stops robo-calling my house, in order to save the 15 cents, that would be a welcome change.

No comments: