Monday, August 24, 2009

Glenn Currie nails it ...

I forgot to mention it on Sunday but Concord poet Glenn Currie really nailed it in a My Turn column in the Monitor on Sunday. For whatever reason, it isn't online, so I can't link it, but he basically states that despite what you see on television or read in the newspapers, there is real anger out there about the state of the nation.
"The story isn't the loudmouths or the kooks who grab the headlines. It is the under-current of growing dissatisfaction among a large number of average Americans, both Democrats and Republicans, who are fed up with what has been coming out of Washington"
Currie, who is a Republican, goes on to talk about the massive spending programs, the bailouts, and other economic catastrophes, and does so with such precision that I almost don't want to write about the subject anymore! Yeah, that's what I would have said.
Of course, I don't agree with Currie completely. I would tweak his positions a bit. But not by much. And I don't believe that gun owners or people who wear T-shirts quoting Jefferson are kooks. My friends may not like it or may not feel comfortable with folks being able to arm themselves or actually reading the Constitution, but that is the way it is.
But otherwise, a nice job indeed.

Update: The Monitor has posted Currie's column: ["Forget the kooks - there's real anger out there"].

Another thing worth reading, which I can link to, is this: ["Could a Third-Party Candidate Actually Win in 2012?"].
Frankly, I don't know if an indie would be able to win or not. With the way the ballot access laws are ... with the way the media is ... with what it takes to run a national campaign ... I just don't know. Having done this off-and-on during different times of my life I can tell you that it is nearly impossible to get on state ballots unless you are registered to one of the two major parties. And even then, you can be totally kept out of the debates. Look at what happened to Larry Agran in 1992 and Ron Paul in 2008. And in Paul's case, with millions of followers and tens of millions in donations, there was no reason for him to be kept out of debates ... but he was.
I will have to give this some more thought in the future.

No comments: