Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Buckey out of N.H. Senate race

This is too bad. I was looking forward to voting for the astronaut:

Dear Friends,

Today I'm announcing with regret my withdrawal from the campaign to represent New Hampshire in the US Senate. I remain committed to the goals of our campaign, but I do not have the financial resources needed to campaign full-time for the next nine months, which is what would be required to beat John Sununu.

I would like to thank all the people who have volunteered their time, money, and energy to support the campaign. I'm proud that our campaign has brought the need for an Apollo Program for Energy to the forefront of the Senate debate here in New Hampshire, and I’m going to continue to work for the issues that have been the foundation of our campaign, including:

  • Promoting the awareness that America’s energy policy is crucial to our national security and economy as well as to our environment.
  • Keeping our nation a leader in the global economy by investing in education, supporting science and technology research and development, and providing affordable, portable health care for all Americans.
  • Eliminating the excessive power of special interests in our political process.

I would also like to thank my tremendous staff – they are not only some of the smartest people I have ever worked with, but they have given tirelessly of themselves to promote the campaign and the issues we believe are critical for America's future.

My best wishes to former Governor Jeanne Shaheen in her campaign. If we work together here in New Hampshire, we can elect a Democrat to the Senate in November and help bring change to America.

Right now, my plans for the future aren’t clear, but my interest in the issues we’ve addressed hasn’t changed. I’d like to thank you again for all your support over these months.

Sincerely,

Jay Buckey

No comments: